Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Grumpy Waffles?

So my son woke up early today AND totally grumpy  Not a good combo.  This kid is usually Mr. Happy so I knew just what would cheer him up. I told him we would make waffles!!! Let's just say...happy he was not, but he was a little less grumpy...

So I told Ben to go wash his hands.  Paige showed her desire to help.   I asked Ben to get our second stool from the bathroom.  He immediately knew this was going in a direction that would only make him less happy.  The kitchen stool is a tad bit larger than the bathroom stool and it's a prized possession in our house.  Ben took a detour to my bedroom and sulked.  Paige and I headed to the kitchen and got to work.
Our ingredients.

Whole Grain Grumpy Waffles

2 eggs beaten,
1 3/4 c skim milk
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1 t vanilla extract
1 1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 flax seed meal
1/4 c wheat germ
4 t baking powder
1 T honey
1/4 t salt

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients.  Beat in the dry ingredients until smooth.
2. Preheat waffle iron and coat with cookie spray.  Pour batter into the iron and cook until crisp and golden brown.

Our tool.
It's not JUST waffle maker.
Ours makes waffle STICKS.
Paige is happily (unlike her brother)
stirring the wet ingredients while she stands
on the STOOL!
All mixed and ready to pour!
This could be a mess.
Isn't there a thing called frozen waffles?
Ugh.
We definitely have a MESS.
Side note
Remember...the only reason I attempted this on
a school day was because BEN was grumpy
and I wanted to cheer him up!
But...where's Ben????
Double UGH!
The first batch was sketchy.
Second batch?
Much better!
She was impressed.

So...Paige is eating her breakfast and I go find Ben.  He was sulking in my bed and proceeded to tell me that he would not be eating breakfast, lunch or dinner...EVER AGAIN.

Knowing we had to leave for school in less than 45 minutes, I stayed patient and told him that he would be an awfully hungry boy and that Paige would love to share her waffles with him.  She worked hard.
 

He came out and joined us, but 
he is clearly not thrilled and on the verge of tears.
Needless to say, I was thrilled
and completely happy we made waffles
on a school day.

Those frozen waffles have nothing on us!

2 comments:

  1. I think we'll try those on Saturday morning. Thanks for posting!

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this - definitely made me laugh. I could totally see little Ben sulking, telling you he was "never eating again"! Waffle sticks look yummy, and Paige is too sweet. Very cute post:)

    ReplyDelete