Sunday, January 3, 2010

Whew!

Here I am again.  The past few days have been full of research on several things!!!  My mind is in so many places that I'm never quite sure where to land.  So I've spent some late nights googling and searching for info in lots of different areas.

Cookie decorating...this is sooo important to me right now because even though I have a passion for it, I am in need of some learning.  I can admit I have some natural talent, but my technique needs to be personalized.  I just bought 3 books on amazon today to start this journey!!!  I've also visited several sites to watch tutorials on everything from how to make icing to how to organize supplies.  Sounds fun, huh?  For me, it's a thrill!!!

Small business start up...while at Easton yesterday, I spent a few hours at Barnes and Noble (one of my favorite places) and skimmed books on starting a home-based business, marketing, branding, etc.  There is so much to learn, but I'm excited!  I have friends who are supportive and encourage me to go for this.

Blog reading, creating, writing, and DESIGN...this has been and interest of mine for years.  I'm an avid blog reader and have my favorites that I visit regularly.  I've always wanted to start my own but I never felt like what I had to say was important enough to write about on such a public level!  I've kept a journal since I was 10.  I know that writing is something that connects me to a place of comfort and balance.  Even if no one reads this...it's fulfilling for me on some level.  The whole cookie biz has been the catalyst for finally doing something that has been on my heart for a long time!  I just found a cool blog designer who has a long waiting list, but I feel good about her work.  Not to mention, God has put a new friend in my life who has inspired me tremendously in the few conversations we've had about all of this.  She wants to design a logo for me.  So keep coming back here and you will see a transformation in the next few months...in more ways than one!

Nutrition/Fitness...trying sooo hard to shed these pounds I've put on since Thanksgiving.  Well, I take that back.  I have NOT been trying very hard, but I am GOING to...starting tomorrow!  Hehe!  As much as I know about eating right, it's never enough.  I love reading and learning about nutrition and fitness.  My lifestyle for 2010?  Eating Clean!!!  I'm all about the teachings of Tosca Reno right now.  She is the author of The Eat-Clean Diet.  LOVE it.  It seems so contradictory to my new business plan, but cookies are meant to be enjoyed in moderation.  I'm going to create them...not EAT them.  Right?

Education course...Scott is adamant that I keep my teaching license current and active.  So I need to take 6 hours of coursework in the next year and a half.  I am currently enrolled in a class called "Helping Students Become Self-Directed Learners".  I must complete it by January 31st!  Just another thing on my plate.

Book Club...another goal is that I read for pleasure.  By this, I mean NOT JUST NON-FICTION (because that is certainly pleasing to me).  I am currently reading Between Here and April.  It's a great book and I'm reading as often as I can.  I hope to have it done by the night of book club on Jan. 12th.  :)

So these are just a few of the things I have been spending my time doing while the kids are sleeping.  I am first and foremost a mom.  God re-iterated that for me today at church.  THEY are my central focus at this time in my life.  It's a true blessing that I get to stay home with them each day.  I can't forget that as I jump into this unknown, exciting part of my life.

Maybe I should describe my biz as SugarChic ~ creating cookies during nap time.  :)

They're my little bakers...

No comments:

Post a Comment